Mobile and Text Message Marketing: The Statistics
Mobile and text message marketing is hot right now. From large corporations to mom and pop shops, businesses everywhere are benefiting by incorporating this pull marketing strategy into their marketing mix. Today, I wanted to take a look at how mobile and text are affecting the world of marketing as we know it by looking at some of the statistics behind these marketing avenues. Below are some of the interesting facts I came upon.
Mobile and Text Message Marketing
- Mobile coupons receive 10 times higher redemption rates than print coupons.
- 16% of smartphone users made a purchase because of a marketing message received on their phone.
- 50% of those surveyed report receiving text messages from retailers and making a purchase as a result.
- 34% of those same respondents have scanned a QR code with a smartphone.
- 43% of marketers currently use mobile technology.
- Another 25% plan to do so within the next 12 months.
- Only 15% of marketers have no plan to use mobile technology.
- 33% of U.S. mobile customers prefer offers via text message to those via…
- Mobile Web (21%).
- Apps (11%).
- Voice Mail (8%).
- 37% of those checking-in on a service like Foursquare did so from an Android.
- 34% of the checked-in from an iPhone.
- Mobile ads perform 4-5 times better that online ads in key metrics such as brand favorability, awareness, and purchase intent.
- 90% of text messages are read within 3 minutes of being delivered.
- Brands using SMS to reach customers connect with 95% of all smartphone & non-smartphone users.
- The average mobile campaign significantly outpaces online in ad awareness.
Mobile Phone and Usage Statistics
- There are 271 million mobile subscribers in the U.S. alone.
- 9 out of 10 mobile searches lead to action. Over half lead to purchase.
- 25% of Americans use only mobile devices to access the internet.
- 82% of U.S. adults own a cell phone.
- 74% of smartphone users use their phone to help with shopping.
- 79% ultimately making a purchase as a result.
- 70% of mobile searches lead to action within one hour.
- 91% of adults have their mobile phones within arm’s reach 24/7.
- By 2013, mobile phones will overtake PCs as the most common web access device worldwide.
- There are 5 times as many cell phones in the world as there are PCs.
- 95% of smartphone users looked up local information on their phones.
Based on these numbers, mobile devices are quickly becoming the dominate way in which consumers interact with brands and each other. People are putting emphasis on the importance of constantly be updated with new information, which includes promotions offered by their favored brands.